Stories about Kahlua

I found out today that Kahlua (my sister & sister-in-law's dog) has bone cancer. It's spread and her time left with us will be short.  Kahlua is an old dog - a lab mix, rescue dog.  She's about 11-years-old.  She's had a wonderful life and, though I am sad it is nearing the end, I am so thankful for this sweet pup.  I wanted to share a few stories about her, if you will indulge me.

Photo credit: Marni Levinson
Kahlua is a special dog - the BEST dog, if I may be so bold.  Am I biased? Of course. But she managed to win over my mom and my friend Sarah (who both don't like dogs), so that's saying something.  She is incredibly sweet and gentle.  She has always been very mild and her favorite thing is pretty much just to exist around people who love her.  ...And she also loves dry pasta and cheese as treats :)  I am Kahlua's primary dog-sitter when her moms are out of town, so we are buddies.  Before my niece and nephew were born, she was the pride of our family.  We all spoiled her at Christmas and she was our baby.  I still consider her my first niece (is that too much?).  So,  a few stories about sweet Kahlua.


  • I took Kahlua out in my sister's backyard a while ago. I wasn't paying attention and loosely holding the leash. Kahlua saw a squirrel and bolted after it, which left me falling on the ground, holding on to the leash, face dragged in the mud.  
  • Kahlua introduced me to a man with whom I subsequently went on a date.  Without a doubt, the worst date of my life.  So, while Kahlua may not have great matchmaking skills, she did set me up the best worst date story.  Trust me, this one is hard to top.
  • I got really sick while dog-sitting one time. I had a fever, lost my voice, and was a little delirious.  Mom & Dad took me and Kahlua home to their house to care for both of us. I let her out in the yard and she came in with muddy paws.  Being the smart girl she is, she realized I had no voice and decided to get away with something. Before I could clean her paws, she ran around the house all muddy. Unable to yell after her, I pounded the floor until my parents came in to help.
  • My friend Susanne let her out for us once while we were all at a family wedding.  Back in the day, Kahlua would hang out in her crate when no one was home. She truly loved it in there, like it was her bedroom.  All you had to say was "crate up" and she would eagerly run in her crate.  Sus let her out and then said "crate up!"  Kahlua, knowing Susanne was "new" decided to play dumb.  She refused to go in her crate and poor Sus had to push her in.
I could go on...and perhaps I will add more stories as I think of them.  But I love this dog with all my heart, and I am so so so sad I will have to say goodbye to her soon.  Liza & Marni got her right around the time I moved back to Chicago from college.  Kahlua has been a constant companion my whole adult life.  She has licked my tears when I cried.  She goes for walks with me. She's witnessed a lot of my life.  She is so dear to me.

Kahlua talks (through her moms) and whenever I am there, she always says she loves me.  And I respond "thank you" instead of "I love you too" which drives her moms crazy!  But when it's just me and Kahlua, she hears it all the time.  I tell her she is the best and I love her so much and shower her with hugs.  Oh I will miss this pup.

So here it is for the world to read - I love you, Kahlua.  You are the best, and I will miss you always.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Aunt

Angst and Questions

Manners Matter - Even in the Morning