Talking to Strangers/How I've Morphed Into My Father

I took a trip to the Cayman Islands last week - well, really, just the one island: Grand Cayman. It was an amazing trip for multiple reasons.  I was reflecting on it last night through the lens of this blog (looking for love and kindness in ordinary life).  Jana and Em, two of my dear friends, were my companions on the trip.  I love them dearly, but that's the easy answer.

I realized my two favorite parts of the trip involved meeting new people. We spent the bookends of our trip staying at Jana's friends' house (though I think I can call them my friends now, too).  Katie, Ryan and their boys opened their home and their lives to us in such generous ways.  The boys gave up their room for 2 nights. Katie made delicious meals - both of which I have already copied and made for myself at home.  They let us borrow their car to drive on the left side of the road around the island.  And so much more.  I loved having the opportunity to meet them and hear about their life on the island.  It was such a rich experience.

At the end of our week there, the 3 of us went out to Stingray City on the Far Tortuga, a charter boat owned and operated by Chip and his crew.  Interacting with the stingrays was...interesting.  I tend to be more frightened than empowered in these sorts of situations.  That is a nice way to say I was screaming and holding onto people for support much of the time we were in the ocean with our slippery friends.  I was proud of myself for going in and touching the stingrays, and I even held one! 

My favorite part of this experience was interacting with the people on the boat, not the stingrays.  There were about 20 of us total.  Jana, Em, me and about 17 cruise travellers plus the three-man crew of the Far Tortuga.  I loved hearing their stories.  Mark and Chip (both crew) grew up on the island and it was so fun to hear about their lives.  I was inspired hearing about the charity that happens on the island.  With about 50,000 people spread out on the 22 miles - most people on the island know each other. When someone is diagnosed with cancer, many people are happy to help cover the patient's medical costs.  It was fun to interact with the other tourists as well. I found myself holding hands with Jenny from Florida and Sara (not sure where she was from) when we freaked out at the same moment about the stingrays. 

I was a really shy kid, which may surprise some of you. As I've matured and grown more into myself, I realize how much I enjoy interacting with people.  I love the thrill of making conversation with someone I know nothing about. I love that there is common thread that holds us all together - that holding hands with strangers is appropriate when frightened by stingrays. I told Jana and Em that my dream job would be to work on the Par Tortuga.  I'd get to engage 20-30 new people each day for about 4 hours...while on a boat in the most beautiful water.  This chatting with strangers thing is definitely something I inherited from my father. He talks to everyone everywhere. I'm not like that. Yet. But I now have an understanding of why he does it, and it's one of the things I really enjoy about life. I'm thankful that my job lets me exercise this part of myself regularly. 


Today, I am thankful for strangers - who I like to think of as potential friends.

Also, if you make it to Grand Cayman, you must visit the stingrays.  And I highly recommend Chip and his crew at Stingray Sailing.  Special thanks to Em, Jana, Chip, Mark and fellow tourists for enduring my screams.



 Em and I with one of the stingrays. Notice how I am only touching it with 3 fingers :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Aunt

Angst and Questions

Manners Matter - Even in the Morning