Inauguration Day: A Reflection on 4 Years

I have today off of work for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and was able to watch some of the Inauguration Ceremony.  It made me think back on where I was four years ago on that historic day.  I was at work in a conference room (12B if I remember correctly) watching what I could over my lunch hour.  I was with my coworkers, who are also dear friends, and we watched history unfold before our eyes.

What was going on in my life four years ago?

My nephew, Drew, was just born. (That's a picture of us to the left. I just had the cast removed from my broken elbow when this picture was taken). I had no idea how much this little man would change my life.  It's like the story of the Grinch.  My small heart grew 4 times the day he was born, and it continues to grow the more time I spend with him.  He is a light in my life.  I didn't know, four years ago, that my niece Kate would enter the world in 2010.  Again, my heart grew in impossible ways when she entered my life.  She is always a bundle of love every time I see her. And she seems to know exactly what Aunt Annie needs - be it a laugh or a hug.

Four years ago, we did not know my Aunt Kathy had ovarian cancer.  Today, she is in her final days and my heart is broken.  But in these past four years, I have shared many laughs and hugs with her.  And a stage four diagnosis of ovarian cancer meant she shouldn't be still alive today, but she is.  I will forever cherish the love she has brought into my life. I am marked by her and molded by her.  I hope my life will be a legacy of all she poured into me.

Four years ago, I did not yet know Emily. This shocks me!  In the past 3 (?) years, this woman has become a dear friend and a voice of wisdom in my life.  She also took me on my first trip to Hilton Head Island and Savannah.  A life before Em?  Weird.

Four years ago, I was not working for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - and really wasn't very familiar with their work.  In the past 3 years, I have met some amazing people through my job.  My coworkers, cancer patients, cancer survivors and their families.  They have blessed me beyond measure, and have given me strength to face the pending death of my aunt.  Thank you for letting me enter these tender moments of your lives.  Four years ago, Micah was not yet born.  He joined this world in 2010 and left it in 2011.  I will remember him. Always.  Four years ago, Molly, Miriam, Andrew, Bob were all still with us.  I miss you all, and hope the work that we do at LLS is making you proud.  We are still fighting for you.

While some big changes have happened in my life in the past 4 years, a lot has remained the same. I am still at the same amazing church which forms my life in unimaginable ways.  It is a community that surrounds me in times of need and celebrates with me in times of joy.  I still have my wonderful family surrounding me.  Walking through this difficult time together, I am so thankful for the love and laughter we share.  My best friends are all still in my life - challenging me to be a better me and to continue growing, all while making me laugh and loving me well along the way.

What did the last four years hold for you? I'd love to hear your stories.

Comments

  1. Three years ago, we were only JUST starting to attend LOV, and what a difference that has made in our lives, because four years ago, Sheldon and I both felt pretty lost in terms of any direction in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm just now responding, Juliet :) I'm clearly not too current on blogging stuff. It is amazing how much changes in 4 years. And truly, LOV has made such a difference in my life too! I look forward to celebrating galentine's day with you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Aunt

Angst and Questions

Manners Matter - Even in the Morning