Thankful for 2013

In January of this year, I started keeping a gratitude jar (yes, thanks Pinterest) .  In essence, I wrote things on small pieces of paper that I was grateful for - big and small.  I was better at doing this regularly in the beginning of 2013, and tapered off a bit toward the end of the year.  Still, it's been fun to read through them and see the things that have happened this past year.  A few themes emerged:

My travels took me to Texas in January on an amazing adventure with Sarah.  We explored Austin, San Antonio and finished in Denton with my dear friend Philippe de Neige.  Sarah is my travel buddy - who else would want to visit Friday Night Lights filming locations with me?  Or spend hours drinking delicious whiskey at Contigo?  And hearing Philippe talk about the book he's writing about zombies was such a gift!  I can't wait to read the finished book, friend.


I also had the pleasure of visiting Grand Cayman in March - doing some things I had never done before, like swimming with stingrays, snorkeling...and singing show tunes with Emily to Jana's great annoyance.  It was an amazing trip!  Add to that a retreat to a cute inn in Wisconsin and a weekend in St. Louis and my year was full of travels with great friends. Thankful.

I also ran a half marathon this year.  This is something I never thought I would do. Like EVER.  A lot of my little pieces of paper detailed small victories - like the first time I ran more than 5 miles (previously my longest distance).  Or the day I actually ran for fun, not for training.  And of course, the day I actually finished the race.  It wasn't just training for a race, you know? It was trying something new and pushing myself.  Being faithful in completing the training schedule day-by-day, week-by-week, month-by-month for 4 months - and then seeing the result of crossing the finish line. Totally amazing.  My family and friends were a great support, too, as I raised over $1,200 to benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program. Thankful.

The most touching posts, however, were about the people in my life.  I noted a really fun bike ride with my nephew Drew, and chatting with him about faith before he went to bed one night.  He's such a smart, deep kid.  I was a part of two of my best friends' weddings this year.  I got to join a leadership team at my church this year, and have seen new parts of myself come alive as a result.  I got to enter the life of a wonderful teenager - my beloved "little sister."  I got to reunite with my friends "family" when Haley visited from Montana in April.  Countless fun memories with my family.

There was a lot written about my Aunt Kathy who passed away in early 2013.  I was so thankful for the last moments I was able to spend with her. Thankful for my family and friends to comfort me in my grief.  And thankful for my aunt.  She lived life well and modeled so much for me.  Her absence in my life and my family is palpable.  I think of her often and my heart is still healing.  But in the midst of the grief, there is so much to be grateful for. Thankful.

A lot of random things were written down - like the concerts I went to (Maroon 5, Punch Brothers, Josh Garrels, Goat Rodeo, Justin Timberlake, Chris Eldridge, Andrew Bird.  Gah! I could keep going!).  There were Cubs games, Hawks games, tours. Chopping my hair and donating it to cancer patients made the list too. Thankful.

I think I'll keep a jar again in 2014.  I'm excited to see what adventures are ahead!  What happened in 2013 that you are thankful for?  I'd love to hear your stories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Aunt

Angst and Questions

Manners Matter - Even in the Morning