The Perils of Long Hair

About a year and a half ago, I decided to grow out my hair so I could donate it.  When cancer patients go through chemo and lose their hair, it can be incredibly difficult.  As women, hair is so much a part of our identity. How we see ourselves. Often how we find our femininity.  My Aunt Kathy lost her hair when she was in treatment and that inspired me to do what I could to help patients.  There are some great organizations out there that give wigs to patients for FREE, like Pantene Beautiful Lengths.

My hair is now long enough to donate (most places require a minimum of 8 inches), and I've decided to keep it long for a while longer. I'm running the Chicago Half Marathon in September, and pulling my hair back while running is much easier than working with a shorter style. I hope to cut it on my birthday, 3 days after the Chicago Half!  My hair hasn't been this long...well, maybe ever.  Here are some interesting lessons I've learned:

  • Pull your hair back when brushing your teeth, or expect to spit right into it.
  • I am using a lot more shampoo.  It's crazy how much I need to wash it compared to my normal, shorter cut.
  • My hair gets caught EVERYWHERE: under straps on clothing, under straps of purses and bags, under seat belts, under my coat/scarves, and even in my armpits.
  • Long hair worn down in summer is incredibly hot.  I'm finding it impossible to keep it down for an entire day, or for more than 5 minutes when outside.
  • Long hair tangles much more frequently. I've had a hard time with it getting stuck on my jewelry, hats/visors, goggles...everything (thanks to my friends and coworkers for getting these things out of my hair for me!)
  • My hair scares me. All the time.  I'll feel it on my arm or my back and scream, thinking there is a spider crawling on me. It's ridiculous.
  • Long hair is heavy.  If I have it in a "high" pony tail, I get a headache after about an hour.
  • My hair flies around if I have it down in the car and the windows open.  When I close the windows, my hair gets caught in the sunroof.  This is a painful realization.
  • It can truly be a hazard.  Let me just say, I've had some close calls while cooking and lighting candles.  As a rule of thumb, I always pull it back now when doing either of these activities.
Please help me add to the list.  What am I missing?  All perils aside, this has been a good experience for me.  I don't like having long hair, and it has been a discipline of sorts to not chop it off.  I'm excited to donate it and to know it will help a woman feel more "normal"  in the midst of facing so many difficulties.


Comments

  1. I frequently shut my hair in my car door when getting in, especially when it's windy out and my hair is flying all over the place! Also, long hair proves too tempting for babies with curious fingers that like to pull on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - thankfully I am not around young ones who like to pull on my hair :) But my niece and nephew like it when I use it to tickle them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Aunt

Angst and Questions

Manners Matter - Even in the Morning