A Girl Who Loves Sports. So What?

My best friend got married last weekend.  On their first date, he packed a picnic and they went to the Botanic Gardens.  The walked around then found a spot to set up their picnic and they read aloud to each other.  They are made for each other.  Me?  If a guy planned that for our first date, he'd have a hard time convincing me that we should go on a second date.  An ideal first date for me?  Take me to a game. Or just to bar to watch one over a couple of pints.

The Blackhawks are in the midst of the semifinals against the LA Kings - the reigning champs.  They won last night on the road.  This was LA's first loss at home in the playoffs this year. And one of the Hawks'  best players was out.  The Blackhawks play as a team.  Yes - they have some great players and some good players.  At the end of the day (or game, I suppose), they play as a team. And I love watching that.

The Miami Heat is in the final series for the NBA Championship - hoping for a repeat of last year.  They are playing my #2 team, the San Antonio Spurs (Bulls are #1, of course).  I had the good fortune to see a Spurs game on the one and only night I was in San Antonio this January.  The Spurs won game one last night... in Miami.  !!!!!!  I won't get into the many reasons I despise the Heat.  I will say that I have loved the Spurs for years because they also play as a team.  They have a core group of players who have been there a long time - Duncan, Parker, Ginobili.  These guys have stuck together for 11 seasons.  !!!!!!!  I love watching them play together. They know each other. They respect each other. And I imagine they've got a lot of love for one another.

Even my beloved Bulls in the Jordan era knew how to play as a team. No, I am not naive enough to think they could have won six titles without Michael Jordan.  But Jordan did pass to Steve Kerr to make the winning shot in 1997.  Jordan led the team - absolutely. He knew how to use the strengths of the players on his team.  Check it out - and Kerr's speech at the end of the video is great.

Why a blog post about sports?  Why a game on a first date?  There is something romantic about sports. The drama.  Going against the odds.  Staying together as a team and trusting one another's strengths. I know it's corny, but it is a metaphor for life.  When you have the opportunity to watch a team who has been together a long time, it's like witnessing a seasoned marriage.    You can tell a lot about a person by watching sports with them.

So who's watching the Hawks game tomorrow night?!

Yes. I know I left baseball out of this post. It's too early. I can't talk about the Cubs yet. Let me get through hockey and basketball and then I'll get ready for the Cubs to shatter my dreams. Again.

With my parents at a Hawks game. They raised me right!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Aunt

Angst and Questions

Manners Matter - Even in the Morning